WHE's Green Guide for Back to School Returns!
It's that time of year again! In less than one month, many of the students will be returning to the classroom. Many school supplies contain toxic chemicals that parents need to be aware of. We've developed a guide to help prevent these harmful chemicals from landing in your child's backpack.
Check out WHE's helpful fact sheet before stocking up on those school supplies. Here's a sneak peek at some of our suggestions:
- Use paper products that are at least 30% post-consumer waste and not whitened with chlorine bleach
- Select recycled ballpoint pens which are a better alternative to the scented pens (we know the scents are fun but they contain mystery chemicals used in the "fragrance")
- Look for plain, wooden pencils that don't have paint or a glossy coating. Pencils made from recycled newspaper, money, or denim can be fun for the kids and good for the environment.
- Avoid sanitizer that contains triclosan and fragrance. Purchase an ethanol-based sanitizer and remind kids to wash hands frequently!
- Click here to read the remainder of our great back to school tips for selecting safer and healthier products!