Does it make sense to spray pesticides on the food you are going to eat, knowing that its main purpose is to kill insects? The chemicals put on our food do not go away over time. They remain and are present when you consume the food item. In the United States more than $11 billion has been spent on pesticides in a given year - this equates to 20 pounds/person. And pesticides and herbicides are detected in 50-95% of our food products.
Doctors believe that some neurological disorders, immune system troubles and liver disease are attributable to the effects of eating food with pesticides. Pesticides not only harm us, but they harm our environment, as well. They can contaminate the water and air where they are sprayed.
What You Can Do to avoid using pesticides in your home:
- Buy foods that are organically grown or grow your own fruits and vegetables
- Become familiar with the "Dirty Dozen" list
- Use natural pest deterrents
- Practice integrated pest management (IPM) to keep your home free of pests and harmful chemicals. Integrated pest management includes simple things like blocking holes, placing food in tightly sealed containers, covering trash cans, keeping floors and counters free of crumbs and using bait traps if necessary. Only use chemicals as a last resort and get professional help.