Personal Care Products
Personal care products include the spectrum of products applied to your body; some of these products include lotion, toothpaste, makeup, shampoo and more. The products we put on our skin and bodies can affect our overall health and well-being. Therefore, it is important to know what is in the products we use. Are your personal care products really safe? Do you really know what is in your products?
It has been found that 1/3 of personal care products contain at least one chemical that is linked to cancer causing agents. Neither the FDA nor any other federal agency does not require testing for safety on these products and has only tested 11% of the 10,500 chemicals. Just because a product says it is “natural” or “organic” does not mean it is healthy.
Cosmetics have been found to include possibly harmful chemicals such as lead, nitrosamines, parabens and fragrances. These chemicals have been linked to cancer, allergies, endocrine disruption and reproductive toxicity. There is no law requiring the FDA to test chemicals in cosmetics or require industries that manufacture these cosmetics to test their products. Fortunately, there are safer products that can be used.
What You Can Do to achieve a clean “green” makeover
- Click here to download our Top 12 Toxins to Avoid in Personal Care Products
- Click here to download a copy of our brochure "Are Your Personal Care Products Safe?"
- Choose safer alternatives and visit www.ewg.org/skindeep for product ratings
- Limit the amount of products you use that contain the word “Fragrance”
- Avoid greenwashing terms – “Natural” and “Organic” are often marketing terms, rather than legally binding descriptions of products. In the United States, there are no legal standards for organic or natural personal care products.
- Support the Safe Chemicals Act and Safe Cosmetics Act! Contact your Congressional leaders to voice the need for chemical reform.
Check out WHE's Top Ten Lists...
You've asked for it and we've delivered, but we need your help to continue this great work! We often share lists of ingredients to avoid in personal care products and provide you with links to companies that offer healthier alternatives, but we know you're interested in products as well.
As our gift to you, we are providing our Top Ten lists of personal care products for men, women and children/baby that can be purchased for under $10 each. Imagine that - a complete makeover for under $100! Our staff spent time exploring retail establishments in the Pittsburgh region for products that met our criteria for selection - readily accessible in local stores, product price under $10, and a ranking of 3 or lower (ideally lower than 2) on Environmental Working Group's cosmetic database.
These are certainly not comprehensive lists. We anticipate the amount of products that meet the criteria will continue to grow, and we'd love to hear your suggestions too. You can support this work by making a tax-deductible gift to Women for a Healthy Environment.